Thursday 2 January 2014

12 Days of Christmas - Best SFF Characters of 2013 - Day #8: Daredevil

Well into the second half of the 12 Days of Christmas, I turn my attention to my first Marvel Superhero of the SFF Characters of 2013, Matt Murdock, aka Daredevil.





DAREDEVIL

My first Daredevil comic came in 2013 with #26 of the current run by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee, and I haven't looked back since. Daredevil in my book has been even better than the brilliant Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, and having been exposed to the character in one of the greatest comics from Marvel always guarentees that I'm going to end up supporting and liking him by the end. Like Green Arrow and Batgirl, the two of the three comic book characters on this list, Daredevil doesn't have a large amount of superpowers at his arsenal, with superhuman senses being his "only" gift. He's a great athelete and although seems like Marvel's version of Batman with him being an expert martial artist and a skilled detective, a good Daredevil comic such as the one currently ongoing by Mark Waid will tell a different story. He's his own character - pretty much everybody knows that Matt Murdock is Daredevil for example, something that doesn't come with the secret identity that benifits Bruce Wayne's Batman.

For me, Daredevil is my favourite Marvel superhero right now and that is in large part due to the excellent series by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee. The character that they've created in the series that is relaunching in April is strong, three dimensional and flawed - something rarely seen in superhero comics, and is powerful and rootable. Storylines featuring the character are far from predictable and Mark Waid's take on the Man Without Fear has been excellent with each issue since #26 earning my Pick of the Week no matter what week it's released in. It's just incredible, and whilst I'm slightly annoyed that the title is being raised in price from $2.99 to $3.99 to go with the All New Marvel Now relaunch as well as starting from #1 again, it's not going to stop me from sticking on board the series especially when you consider that Netflix have a Daredevil TV series lined up for 2015 that should be very interesting indeed. 

Let's not talk about that Ben Affleck movie though, shall we? 



Day #4: Lara Croft
Day #3: The Clone Club
Day #1: Green Arrow

No comments:

Post a Comment