Thursday 2 January 2014

The Best Films of 2013

Continuing my Best of... lists, I run down my favourite films of 2013. Hit the break to see what they were.






I didn't see a lot of new 2013 films but those that I did see I enjoyed most of them. It was a great year for the film industry though with some fantastic films hitting cinemas over the year, and I managed to see a few of the big ones and all at the big screen. There is a couple of controversial choices on this list in the form of Man of Steel and The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug but I still managed to enjoy those films regardless. This is my Top 5 list of films with the first being my favourite. You can find my Top 5 games here, as well as the best comics of the year here

GRAVITY


WHY? Gravity was utterly amazing. I opted to go and see this at the Cinema over Thor: The Dark World and loved every second of it. It's the first film since Avatar that's actually worked in 3D and gains bonus points for having a storyline that didn't make you fall asleep halfway through. In fact, I was kept on the edge of my seat at the cinema for the entirety of the 90-odd minutes of the film's running time, and loved everything about it. It's certainly a must-see film and gets my award for best of the year. 


MAN OF STEEL



WHY? Man of Steel was, although divisive in reception, an incredible film from my perspective. Henry Cavill and Amy Adams worked wonders in the lead roles and Russell Crowe stole the show as the best performance of Jor-El. Hans Zimmer's soundtrack was one of the best film scores that I've ever listened to and the cinematography was just fantastic. I recently re-watched this on DVD and it still manages to be just as incredible - hence why it claims spot number two on this list. 

THE HOBBIT: DESOLATION OF SMAUG



WHY? I enjoyed The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug a heck of a lot more than An Unexpected Journey which was also a solid film in my book. Desolation of Smaug went more on the epic scale with some good set pieces such as the escape from the Elves and the final confrontation with Smaug himself was visually amazing, the special effects for Smaug delivering what is hands down the best SFX working of a dragon that I have ever seen on the big screen. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's an enjoyable film nonetheless - and I can recommend it. WHY? This is the most recent addition to my list and it's a very good film. I actually watched this last night at the cinema but as it was originally released in 2013 I'm including it on this list, and full of a great cast, why could I not? Christian Bale, Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence shine with a great film that should have a review cropping up on the blog on the next few days. 

 AMERICAN HUSTLE


WHY? This is the most recent addition to my list and it's a very good film. I actually watched this last night at the cinema but as it was originally released in 2013 I'm including it on this list and full of a great cast, why could I not? Christian Bale and Amy Adams shine whilst the rest of the cast including Jennifer Lawrence are pretty good as well - there should be a review appearing on this blog in the next few days as well. 

PACIFIC RIM



WHY? If you want giant robots fighting giant aliens then you've come to the right place. Pacific Rim is the film for you - it's easily the most fun film on this list and if you go in expecting what I've just mentioned then it'll meet your expectations just fine. It's loud, action packed and incredibly awesome - and whilst the acting may be weak in places it still proves why it deserves a spot on my favourite films of 2013. 

HONOURABLE MENTIONS: Iron Man 3, 

No comments:

Post a Comment