Thursday 2 January 2014

The Best Games of 2013

I run down my Top 5 favourite games of 2013 and explain why they're just so great.





It's time for the second in my recapping of the year posts. This time I'm turning my attention to gaming, and looking at the Top 5 games of the year. I don't have a PS3 so can't include The Last of Us (which does look very awesome indeed), and my Laptop isn't the greatest in quality, so I'm limiting it to Xbox 360 games alone. You can find my Top Comics of 2013 here, and my next post will be the Top Films of 2013.

GRAND THEFT AUTO V



Why? Believe it or not, Grand Theft Auto V was my first exposure to the GTA franchise and I loved it. The open world game-play was absolutely incredible and the storyline packed plenty of fun set-peices that made it lots of fun. Rockstar have been putting out awesome games in the form of stuff like L.A. Noir and Red Dead Redemption and I'm glad to see that their premier game is just as good as everybody says it is. For me, there's no competition for Game of the Year. 

BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS



Why? This is a game that like Bioshock Infinite I managed to get for Christmas and I ended up really enjoying it. I've loved the first two Arkham games so it really was a no-brainer that Arkham Origins would fall on this list somewhere and although I haven't completed the game as of this point I am loving every second of its campaign and can highly recommend it. Look out for a review when I'm more than 70% through the overall storyline.

ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG



Why? Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was my first exposure to the franchise and I haven't looked back since, owning and enjoying every AC game that has been released on the Xbox 360 from Assassin's Creed I to III. It's another no-brainer then that I'd put Black Flag on my Top 5 games of the year then and with its awesome open world and period setting Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag rightly takes third place on my list of favourite games of the year. I haven't completed it yet, like Arkham Origins - but expect a review once I'm done. 

TOMB RAIDER



Why? Like Grand Theft Auto V being my first experience to GTA, Tomb Raider was my first experience to Lara Croft this year and I haven't looked back since with the character being one of my favourites of the year so far, earning a spot on my 12 favourite fictional characters of 2013. The storyline was pretty solid and had some awesome moments and although it may not have been perfect, it was still a must-play game and I'm super excited for the sequel hitting in the latter stages of this year. And I can't wait for the Gail Simone comic, too - coming from Dark Horse in February. 

BIOSHOCK INFINITE



Why? Bioshock Infinite is another first for me, being my first encounter with the Bioshock franchise and although I haven't played all of the game so far I've loved what I've seen. It's fun, enjoyable and awesome with plenty of choices with different outcomes allowing for Bioshock Infinite to round out my favourite games of 2013.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS: Gears of War: Judgement, Injustice: Gods Among Us, 

No comments:

Post a Comment