Sunday 2 February 2014

Eternal Warrior #5

I cover Greg Pak's Eternal Warrior #5, a fantasy series published by Valiant Comics with artwork from Robert Gill and colours from Guy Major. The cover is provided by Clayton Crain.






I've been looking to get into the Valiant Comics Universe ever since I first heard of Unity #1 but lacked the space available to put it on my pull list. When I got the chance to read Eternal Warrior however with a new jumping on point I leapt at the chance, especially as it is written by Greg Pak, who's doing an amazing job with Action Comics at DC right now. It's a great jumping on point for new readers as I was quickly thrust into a series where the book picks up a couple of thousand years into the future, and as is the trend with futuristic settings nowadays Eternal Warrior opts for the more post-apocalyptic dystopias and barren wasteland setting. It's a grimdark future indeed - where Kings rule and the main enemy for the bulk of #5 is a robot monster that detonates a nuclear bomb upon destruction.

Eternal Warrior is great for fantasy, mainstream comics and post apocalyptic fans alike. Greg Pak's writing is solid and entertaining with some strong artwork provided by Robert Gill, and along with colourist Guy Major they do a great job at introducing us to this new landscape with some consistent character work and some well handled action. The artwork works really well with Pak's script and I'm glad that I gave this comic a try. I can certainly see myself adding this to my monthly pull-list based on what I've seen here - it's got an impressive enough hook and I do love a good fantasy comic and think that this is something that the comics medium should do more of - Gail Simone's Red Sonja and Paul Cornell's Demon Knights are other great examples of just how awesome the fantasy world can be.

This is certainly one of the better comics that I've read this week and I can't wait to see where Pak takes the reader in future issues based on the impression that I have got from this new jumping on point. There aren't any major problems that I found with Eternal Warrior #5 that are really worth mentioning here - and I can see the book standing on its own two feet with a strong, memorable lead character and a fun read that's not bogged down by exposition that normally plagues jumping on points or first issues of titles.

So Greg Pak has got me hooked with this strong start. I just can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

VERDICT: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment