Saturday 20 September 2014

Who Would Make A Good Supergirl in CBS' Upcoming TV Series

Inspired by the multiple blog posts that everyone seems to be writing and the recent announcement that CBS have given a series commitment to Supergirl, I thought I’d compile a reasonably realistic list of who I think would make a good choice to play Kara Zor-El on screen. Hit the break to find out my choices. Once again, these are my personal favourites, so if you’ve got someone who you believe would be a better fit, let me know in the comments section.








Why? I’m a big fan of Alona Tal’s character in Supernatural, Jo Harvelle, and always welcomed any episodes featuring her and provided a massive boost to the cast. Whilst it was a shame to see her leave, and I don’t think I’ve seen her IIRC in any movies or shows since, I think she would make a great casting choice for Kara. Given from her performance on Supernatural, I’d say she’s more than capable of pulling off a lead role. She’s currently in the Amazon original series Hand of God, although that hasn’t quite yet been picked up for a series order yet.

Why? This is going to be a bit of a difficult choice because Caity Lotz already has a major role in Arrow as Sara Lance, but there she’s one of my favourite female characters on the show. Now, if Supergirl was a CW show then I’d say no to her being involved as there would be a chance that the series can crossover, but as it’s on a different network (CBS) I don’t see any reason why she couldn’t play two superheroes at once. I mean, she’s no longer playing a big role on Arrow (sadly) for S3, and Chris Evans did something like this for Johnny Storm and Captain America, right?


Why? I’m currently catching up on The Originals, and it was a big disappointment when I came to learn that Claire Holt’s Rebekah, one of the best members of the cast, would be no longer in the series. However, I’d welcome a new role for Holt as a leading figure in Supergirl and I think she should certainly be able to pull it off.


Why? Already having starred in Guardians of the Galaxy (as Meredith Quill) and Captain America: The First Avenger (in a minor role), Laura Haddock is certainly familiar with the superhero movie genre. She’s also put in a fantastic performance on the small screen as Lucrezia Donati in the always fun Da Vinci’s Demons, and I would love to see her play Kara.


Why? Out of all the actresses on this list, Robertson is probably the one that I’m least familiar with having only seen a few episodes of Under the Dome (previously, she was also in The Secret Circle). However, I wouldn’t mind seeing her become a lead in a new show, and would handle Supergirl pretty well.


Why? Okay, okay, I wish. Both of these two are probably too old to play Kara, but are both fantastic actresses (Sackhoff’s Starbuck from BSG is one of my favourite characters period), and Yvonne Strahovoski is awesome in everything that she does. So if CBS wanted to do something different (I think Sackhoff is free with the cancellation of Longmire, no?) then I wouldn’t say no to these two being cast. Again, it’s the most unrealistic choices on this list, but I think they’d work out pretty well.


Why? Natalie Dormer is incredible in Game of Thrones and would make a fantastic Kara. She’s also a Elementary veteran and has a role in the upcoming Hunger Games: Mockingjay films (both parts), and certainly has the acting ability to star as Kara. Again, she might be another unrealistic option on this list, but I certainly would love to see her here.

A Relative Unknown

Why? Go for the alternate option of casting someone with little known acting ability. I mean, who had heard of Tatiana Maslany for Orphan Black? If you could find a talented enough actress who hasn’t been in many films beforehand, then this would be a good choice, especially if the above actresses are unavailable.



No comments:

Post a Comment